The Weight of Water

Armed with a suitcase and an old laundry bag filled with clothes, Kasienka and her mother head for England. Life is lonely for Kasienka. At home her mother’s heart is breaking and at school friends are scarce. But when someone special swims into her life, Kasienka learns that there might be more than one way for her to stay afloat.

The Weight of Water is a startlingly original piece of fiction; most simply a brilliant coming of age story, it also tackles the alienation experienced by many young immigrants. Moving, unsentimental and utterly page-turning, we meet and share the experiences of a remarkable girl who shows us how quiet courage prevails

Please write your reviews in the comment box below.  DO NOT write your last name.  All comments are moderated and so will not appear immediately.

8 thoughts on “The Weight of Water

1. A brilliant story, written in poems, about the life of a girl called Kasienka. She gets bullied and lost her father. Will she ever find him?
    One day she falls in love, hoping for hope to find her father. Her mother lives with her in a small home, with limited facilities. We her life ever get any better?
    Will she go home, back to Poland?
    I think you should definitely read this book…

2. Mrs Harris
    This is a short book to read and I loved the style of writing. No need for long chapters describing the scenes – the author conveys her story incredibly.

A deeply moving tale of a young girl forced to deal with difficult issues that many people face today. At it’s heart the need for all of us to be accepted, whatever our background and circumstances and the importance of finding just one way to hold on until the world catches up with who you really are. Kasienka’s reflections on her situation and the actions of those around her are so powerful that I was literally moved to tears!

Love this little book.

I love the way this book is written.

3. I thought this book was really easy to read and this is because the author Sarah Crossan has wrote this book which looks like a lots of poems. and also, because the main character in the story is from Poland so Sarah is trying to write how Kasienka (the girl) feels by using not complicated words. this leads to the result of a nice easy book to read for foreign people as my first language is not English as well. the story line was quite simple and easy to understand and I could feel the feeling between Kasienka and her mum being worried to live in a country they have never lived in, and the fear of not finding her dad who was supposed to be living around where Kasienka moved to. this story was a overall very heart-warming story and I would definitely recommend this book to my friends and to people whose their first language is not English.

4. Imagine an world where you’re an outsider, outcast and an intruder. Hostile glares and disdainful stares on the bus. Whispers and rumours in class spreading like wildfire behind your back. Ignorance and idiocy. They think you’re inadequate, unimportant , irritable and in cable of ever fitting in. And you feel isolated, like your’e alone on an island. But you must survive in this brutal land. Be brave and learn to swim. Swim away from their mindlessness, their rude comments and attempts to taunt you.
    Kasienka is from Poland. She grew up there and thats her true home, where her heart is. But Kasineka and her mum head for England to find their long lost father who abandoned them. She starts school and gets put into a lower class. Finding friends becomes problematic. She feels like an alien amongst them, she has to pay the price for being different. She comes across Claire, who torments her and makes her life even more of a misery. But Kasienka turns to the thing she loves to do most. Where she can escape and move into another world. Flow and twirl in happiness, away from bullies and away from school. She is free and can let go and this is where she feels truly at home.
    This is the type of books thats gets to your heart and soul and stays there. It teaches you the tough life immigrants face. This story is written in blank verse, giving it a free feeling and a different style to most books you read. Kanoro was my favourite character. Kanoro is a Kenyan doctor who lives in the next room to Kasienka and her mum. Kanoro provides a ray of light, love, wisdom and kidness to the Polish immigrants.
    Overall, I loved this book. The believable characters, the setting, the theme of refugees, all makes it a memorable and engaging book. I would recommend this book for children aged between 11-14.

5. George from Eltham College says:
    Weight of water by Sarah Crossman is a heart-rending and exciting book, full of adventure into the unknown. Kasienka, a determined twelve-year old from Poland, is missing her father. He left a note one morning saying he was off to England… That was all he told them.
    This book is all about Kasienka and her mother searching for her dad. It is a new perspective of how people find new countries and homes difficult to deal with and how their emotions change.

6. Kieran from Eltham College says:
    The weight of water is a wonderful book. Sarah Crossan has done a magnificent job of writing this book in a unique manner. I would normally not choose a book that is written in verse because it has never appealed to me, even though I normally like poetry. I find that the book gives you a different view to how we would normally see the world. It is a beautiful book and I would recommend it to anyone.

7. At first The Weight of Water throws you because it’s poetry, but very quickly you get used to the format and it tells an interesting tale. It’s a tale that makes you think –in these times of Brexit are we treating those who come here to work with respect? Do we do so in schools? Or does this just provide the bullies in our society with another victim.

One of the messages I took from The Weight of Water is that whatever country we come form we are all the same, and that we should try and help not hinder each other.
    I also love the idea that competitive sport becomes a release for the central character.

A good and thought provoking read.

8. This is delightful and heart warming. It give an insight form Kasienka’s point of view arriving in Britain as an immigrant and what she makes of her “New world”.